Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jeply Unthree Fourplay: KrissKross

in genial response to the eloquest writings of mr. pinecone...

my idea with manifesto in fandom (tedder 2008), i think -- and i don't want to go back and read it--was questioning where this idea of fandom comes from using sky blue sky as a laboratory.


coming from the guy who most used to use arbitrary and exaggerated rankings with every band, song, show, and whatever, i am trying my best not to give out rankings (e.g. x is my favorite band, or z is in my top 5, or even y was my favorite show ever). furthermore, i am trying to disassociate with the very idea of 'fandom'. liking a band and saying you are a fan of a band are completely different things. the latter involves the idea of outsourcing your identity, which i think i presented well in the last writing. let me elaborate on this whole thing with some of my thoughts on rankings and callings fav's. And mind the gap, this is not aimed at anyone, or is it negative, so dont feel the urge to flame--(unless you want to, ya quare!).

how the hell can i know what my favorite show ever is? how can I ever compare a moment to a moment? memories are not moments, rather they are only neural impulses that haven't atrophied. i guess stronger memories--those that are stimulated and reinforced most often--are likely to manifest themselves higher in rank than faded memories, but what the hell does that say about anything other than my emotional impressionability (ever variable dependent on a million different things) at moment of source sensation/perception and your ability to maintain the memory?

i guess i started feeling pigeon-holed to my own systems. i got locked in my mental grid--> "well I said the rollingstones in durham was my favorite show, i guess i have to compare that to every other show i see." "well i'm drunk and having a fucking blast seeing the joe blow locals with a bunch of my friends. Is this better than the rolling stones? i think so. really? than the fucking stones?"

it's not that it takes that much effort to rank or call fav's, but it doesn't allow for free space in the thoughts for new things. It traps you into a mold and a system. mike harrison said it best one time, "hey fuck off, i think i like maroon 5." being a 'loyal' fan (whatever that means) and being a connoisseur [having a very discerning view of a subject] is certainly a fine ideal, but to take a step back and say "fuck it, I will listen to whatever and find something good in everything, because hey, generally I like most things" is very liberating. as an aside, i of course am disgusted at the level of banality in a lot of popular music, movies, and tv which are driven by the 'boardroom-bullshit-marketed media industries'

i think all I am really wanting to put forth is that in life, it comes down to what makes you happy and what makes you feel good. dis-attaching from things (which I have a very hard time with) is certainly the way to go and accepting everything as they come at you is the way to go. I will try not to add too mny coments like this on this blog, but that's where my beliefs lie.

that being said, sky blue sky is not my most favorite wilco album and it is not my least favorite. it completely depends on the moment: my mood, having just eaten, the weather outside, or if i busted or did not bust a nut recently. i can say this with certainty though. sky blue sky is the wilco album i will probably listen to the least in the time to come.

No comments: